Todd's Chapel Cemetery
Richmond, Ray County, Missouri

Date: March 20, 2001

Cemetery: Todd's Chapel Cemetery
Established: November 15, 1851
Street: So of highway 10 between Excelsior Springs and Richmond MO just W of Highway C
City: About 3 miles west of Richmond MO
Township: Richmond
County: Ray County
State: Missouri
Nation: USA
Zip: 64085
Nearby: Intersection of Highway 10 and C
Reached by: Public road
Location: Rural-woods
Land: Hillside
Water: No
Sign: Yes
Land Type: Private
Access: Open
Surrounded by: None
Gate: None
Status: Active
Size: Small
Unmarked graves: Yes
Gravestones: 100+
Broken gravestones: Yes
Toppled gravestones: Yes
Buried gravestones: Yes
Removed Gravestones: Unknown
Weather problems: Unknown
Pollution problems: No
Oldest grave: 1863
Newest grave: Jan 2001
Records: No
Inventory: Unsure
Records location: Local volunteers surveyed many county cemeteries in the 1970's but these records are incomplete and contain unavoidable errors.
Condition: Describe the current condition of the cemetery
Vandalized: No
Vegetation: Damaging gravestones
Vegetation problem: Trees
Drainage: Good
Problem: Apathy
Problem: Disintegrating Headstones
Work Status: The current status of this cemetery is:
Owner: Cemetery
Use: Residential
Bordering: Woods
Change: Same
Visited: Occasionally
Previous contacts: Dean Snow, County coroner and funeral director, Clinton A Swofford, Cemetery Assn Trustee

Other information

The church grounds and cemetery reportedly included 11 acres. Some of the graves have been surrounded by trees so that they are not readily visible in the "clearing". Burials are infrequest. The cemetery is divided by a gravel road. A local funeral director reports that no burials west of the road will be allowed because there are no existing records indicating plots that are available (unless a family happens to have satisfactory knowledge of spaces in their own family plot). Since the "clearing" which marks the known boundaries of the cemetery land does not anywhere near cover 11 acres, it would seem that there is a large part of the cemetery still unused.

Submitted By:
name: Shirley Brungardt
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.